Sunday, October 23, 2011

Earthquake

I recently experienced an earthquake in my life. One minute all was well and then the earth suddenly moved and nothing felt the same. I became ungrounded and disoriented, losing my sense of direction. To be clear, this was a metaphorical earthquake, not a physical one. My emotions tumbled and rocked, like belongings falling from the shelves, shattering on the floor. The trauma has been replaying like aftershocks for days and days.

But the earth is steady now. And I must get my feet firmly planted back on the ground. Although the contour of the landscape has changed, it holds promise. Thanks to the support and love of family and friends, I am recreating my home, sweeping out the debris and restocking the shelves. There is a new order, a new wisdom to my days. It will take time to adjust but I will be patient and will trust in what is to come.

I thank the Earth for reminding me that after the inevitable quakes in our lives, we rebuild, we embrace the gifts of friends and family and we navigate through our emotions until we can bring into focus the new opportunities on the horizon ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment